Pages

Sunday 29 November 2015

Robin and Holly Wreath

Hi and welcome all.  Today I am showing another Christmas card made with a freebie stamp and a Crafter's Companion Embossing Folder called  Snow Flurry which I embossed twice to fit the background on my square card.  I have also used some pretty holly patterned paper from a set by Dovecraft called The Twelve Days of Christmas and die cut the bottom with a Spellbinders Curved Borders 1 die.
Happy Little Stampers Sketch Challenge for November still has a few days to run and I used the sketch for this card.  I decided to make a banner for the image to sit on instead of a tag shape, and my background embossed layer is a little larger, but I hope it is close enough.


I stamped the wreath with the robin using Versafine Smokey Gray ink on to a snippet of white card and then I decided to colour using my Promarkers.  To be honest I don't have many colours and I felt when I had finished that perhaps the colours were a little dark for the robin, and maybe it would have been better to use Spectrum Noir pencils or watercolour with inks.  I then cut this with a Simon Says Stitched Circle die and using the next size up I cut another using a snippet of dark green card. 

I finished with a green die cut sentiment from another small piece of the same green which I adhered with Stick It.  To use you peel back the protective top layer and lay your card on to it and cut round, and when you have die cut you remove the paper on the other side and stick down.  This worked fantastically, even with the dot for the 'i' which is miniscule.  I have tried another make which I'm sure would be great with larger die cuts and for other techniques with glitter, micas etc, but with the small delicate sentiments was no good at all, just didn't cut well and wouldn't stick firmly enough to the back of the letters.

I hope I haven't bored you all to tears but I was so pleased with the result and really wasn't expecting it to work so well, and I expect lots of  you will know of this stuff already but for the uninitiated it is worth a mention.

After I had put the card together I thought perhaps I would highlight the berries on the topper and the backing paper with some red stickles glue, and I also used a little glossy accents on the robin's eye.

Thanks for your visits and kind comments which I appreciate very much because this blog wouldn't be the same without you all!  x

Pat  x

I would also like to enter the following challenge:

Pixie's Crafty Workshop  - Week 205 where we use up our snippets.
The Craft Barn - Snowflakes. 
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes.
Addicted to Stamps and More - Make Your Mark.
Penny Black and More - Anything Christmas.

  

18 comments:

Jean said...

I love your beautifully coloured robin Pat, and the paper you used for the banner is lovely too, as is the embossed background.
Jean x

Di said...

Hi Pat! Wow, your robin is fabulous, great colouring of the lovely image and wreath. Clever idea to use the Spellbinders way border die as you did too.

Your observations about Stick-It are spot on - I agree about the alternatives not being as good for the fine dies such as wording - and never feel you'd bore anyone. For me it was interesting to read that you'd tried the alternative and come to the same conclusion as I had. I'd rather have more detail than not enough :)

Hugs

Di xx

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a beautiful card with such a sweet bird on it!!! Great embossed background and beautiful image, I love it!!

Greetings
Maria

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful take of the sketch, the embossing and colouring are fantastic. I hope you are having a great week, Shirley xx

Sarn said...

Really nice card pat. Great layout. xxx

Jane said...

Lovely card and your robin is perfect!! Thank you for entering The Craft Barn Challenge.
Jane x

ÅsaJ said...

Love your emossed background! Beautiful! Thank you for joining us at Happy Little Stampers!

Barb said...

Your card is lovely Pat. What a pretty Robin and wreath that is coloured beautifully. I must get some Stick it. It sounds great for sentiments. Barbxx

Viv said...

Great card Pat - lovely robin! x

Inkypinkydelights said...

Hi Pat, What a lovely Blog you have! This is such a pretty card. Judy x

brenda said...

Another really super card Pat.

Many thanks for joining us again at Penny Black and More challenge.

B x

Mervi said...

Lovely robin, beautiful card!
Thank you for sharing at Penny Black and more;-))m

MaryH said...

Hi Pat Finally got over to the Playground to enjoy some inspiration, and of course, you'll quickly guess that this cute robin caught my eye right away. It's a darling image, enclosed in the delicate wreath, and I like the green stitched frame. Lovely white embossing and I like your idea of the different 'banner' treatment too. Very nice design, and just perfect for the holidays (or winter as well). TFS & Hugs

Olesya Andreyeva said...

Oh this bird is so cute!!! Thank you so much for joining us at ATSM!
Olesya

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Birgit said...

This is so sweet! That little robin is adorable!! Thanks so much for joining the Happy Little Stamper November sketch challenge.

SewPaperPaint said...

What a gorgeous design, Pat! Congrats on your win at PB&More!

scrappymo! said...

Love that pretty coloured wreath and robin. This is a lovely card, Pat!