Pages

Friday 20 February 2015

Fuchsia Birthday

Hi there everyone.  I originally made this card with the Time Out Challenge in mind, which was to case a card by Kylie, and you can find her post here but unfortunately I have just checked and the challenge has closed.  At the moment cardmaking and I are not good friends as nothing seems to have been going right lately!  Anyway here is my card and Kylie's card is on the right.  

I used the fuchsia leaves, flower and buds from a Clearly Besotted set which I got free with a magazine recently.  I stamped the leaves first on to a snippet of white card using Memento Bamboo Leaves Ink and then added the fuchsia flowers using the same green on the top of the flower and the rest of the stamp I stamped with  Addirondack Eggplant Ink and then masked the flowers and added the buds using the Bamboo Leaves .  I then coloured the flowers with a waterbrush using the Eggplant and some Distress Ink in Picked Raspberry,  and then the buds with Bamboo Leaves and  I got out a few of my Spectrum Noir pencils and added some extra shadows and highlights.  I think the buds would have looked better with less green and a little more of the open flower colours but I did add a little pink from one of the pencils to change the colour a bit.

My twist on Kylie's card was to use a woodgrain embossing folder for the top half instead of the stripes, and a piece of ribbon instead of a couple of embossed lines.  I also decided to make the topper a banner shape and then I added the sentiment  on the bottom of the background layer.  I did wish that I had added the sentiment before putting the card together because needless to say it didn't stamp at all evenly so I stamped it again on another snippet of white card and cut all round the edge of it and attached it over the top.  It probably would have looked better if I had made a mat out of it but because the sentiment was quite large there wasn't really the room for it so did the best I could.  I think I should have deconstructed it but suspected the topper would probably be ruined in the process and the thought of starting again didn't really appeal greatly.   I also managed to mark the topper so decided to get creative with a few pearls.

I hope I am over this cardmaking slump.   I'm sure I am not alone in going through a bad patch of creativity and nobody wants to listen to me bleating on endlessly about it, so thank you for visiting today because as always your interest is very much appreciated!

Pat x

I am entering the following challenges:

Pixie's Crafty Workshop - Week 164.  I used two snippets of white card, and a snippet of ribbon.
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Add A Little Texture.
Happy Little Stampers - CAS Challenge - Embossing.
Penny Black and More - Anything Goes except a digi.
Stamping Sensations - Anything Goes.
Addicted to CAS - Mask.

17 comments:

Lin said...

I love your interpretation, Pat! The woodgrain embossing is striking and your banner of fuschias is too! Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge this week!

MaryH said...

Your CASE of Kylie's pretty card is just stunning. I love the flowers - marvelous coloring too! Your w/c skills are awesome, and I think your fuchsia posies look great just the way you did them. Turning the focal image into the fishtail banner was inspired designing, and it looks terrific against the horizontal wood grain emboss. Love that grosgrain soft green ribbon border and the tiny pearls added just the right touch of elegance. I hear you about the cardmaking Mojo these days. I think yours was just relaxing, because this is a fantastic card! TFS & Hugs.

Liz said...

A beautiful card, Pat. I do love fuchsias and it's a great take on Kylie's card. Perhaps your cardmaking slump is due to the time of year. I seem to have abandoned so many cards over the last couple of weeks because they just weren't going right. Spring is just round the corner, so hopefully we'll get over the slump and our creativity will be restored. :-) xx

Sarn said...

TOP MARKS for that lovely CASE Pat.

Hope your card making slump becomes a card making SUPER SESSION soon.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Oh Pat, this really is beautiful! Really CAS and so fresh looking! I don't think you're in a slump at all - not when you're producing beauties like this one!

Hugs

Di xx

Viv said...

Nowt worse than an AWOL Mr Mojo - but you'd never guess from this card Pat - I think you've CASE'd it beautifully- a lovely interpretation. And it really is annoying when you stamp and it doesn't turn out the way you want it - at least you rescued it and it looks just fine - my stamping disasters invariably end up in the bin! x

Jacee said...

Lovely clean, fresh card, great design, love it!
hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Joan said...

Lovely card, fresh and pretty, you've done a great job with those stamps

Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month
Joan

Loll said...

This is so pretty Pat. Love your Fuchsia stamps ... they are lovely. And I love it paired with the woodgrain embossing folder. Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers.

Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful CAS card! i love the embossed background and your colouring is fabulous. thank you so much for playing along with us this month at penny black and more.
linda

Darnell said...

Well, now, I am sorry that the process was being difficult for this card, Pat, but I'm glad you persevered because it turned out so well! Your image is magnificent and I think the pearls ended up being a happy accident as they point the eye directly to the sediment!! Which, by the way, looks fine and no one will ever know!! And, yes, we all go through slumps so hang in there! It will come back. You are far too talented to let a little slump get the best of you! Have a wonderful weekend!! Hugs, Darnell

Diane said...

Elegant image, lovely design and details Pat.

Hugs Diane

Mervi said...

Fabulous card, lovely image and colours.
Thank you for sharing at Penny Black and more, good luck;-))m

Connie said...

Hello Pat, I am so happy to meet you . . . your blog is wonderful. I love the way you layer and add texture to your cards, they are so pretty. I used to make cards all the time and I'm out searching for some inspiration to get me back in gear. I just set it aside and my friends and relations say they miss getting them in the mail. It was so much fun. Well, I am your newest follower and I would love to have you follow me back. Please come visit and see what I did with washi tape.
Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

Rebecca Hoy said...

How lovely- I have this stamp set too and I've used this fact stamp recently, it's on my blog if you'd like to have a look. Thanks for joining us at ATCAS, Rebecca x

Eret said...

Both cards are beautiful. Love the clean design. Thank you for sharing your wonderful card with us at Stamping Sensation.
Eret x

Bonnie said...

This card doesn't look like you are in a slump, Pat! It's gorgeous and such a good CASE of Kylie's card! Love the fuchsia and the wood grain embossing!